CHUTES AND LADDERS® The Good Garden Edition
CHUTES AND LADDERS® The Good Garden Edition
Kids Can Press, in partnership with One Hen, Inc. and the Hasbro Foundation, is happy to provide educators across Canada with CHUTES AND LADDERS® The Good Garden Edition board game designed to help students understand the issues of food security and sustainable agriculture facing our world and empower them to make a difference.
The Good Garden Enrichment program includes:
- The Good Garden: How One Family Went from Hunger to Having Enough book.
- CHUTES AND LADDERS® The Good Garden Edition Game
- Interactive companion website, www.thegoodgarden.org with free lesson plans, videos and stories.
One free copy per the first 500 eligible Canadian elementary schools.
Key Themes: food security, poverty and sustainable farming
About the Game:
In CHUTES AND LADDERS® The Good Garden Edition, players take on the role of small farmers moving from hunger to having enough. In the game, each player’s marker represents a subsistence farmer trying to go from hunger to having enough. The farmer’s “ladders” toward food security include gaining land rights, crop insurance, agricultural training, fair loans and better seeds or a farm animal. Meanwhile, the farmer’s ”chutes,” which can set back hard won gains, include drought, soil erosion, insect infestation, insufficient credit and loss of land.
About the Book:
The CHUTES AND LADDERS® The Good Garden Edition is based on the book The Good Garden: How One Family Went from Hunger to Having Enough, the real story of one struggling farming family in Honduras and their journey to growing enough food to meet their needs. The book introduces students to issues of world food security and allows them to understand both the local and global crises in food and nutrition.
About the Good Garden Program:
The Good Garden Enrichment program, part of the One Hen, Inc. Enrichment Series, is built around a key global issue and designed to help children develop essential 21st century skills. The Good Garden program provides resources that introduce children to the concept of food security and what they can do about the global food crisis. The program includes The Good Garden book, game and website www.thegoodgarden.org, which provides interactive learning tools, teaching modules, videos and stories for educators to integrate into regular school time or as structured curriculum for after-school, club or summer enrichment programs
Order a Game for Your School
At this time no more free games are availble to schools.
If you would like to be on our mailing list to learn about future Good Garden promotions during the 2011-2012 school year please sign up here:
The Good Garden Book:
- Please allow 4 to 5 weeks for shipping and handling
Watch: Good Garden Videos
How to Get Started
2. Log on to www.thegoodgarden.org for enrichment resources:
- Inspire kids with the video of the real María whose life the book is based on.
- Take an interactive story quiz on the book.
- Get children to meet real people and learn from inspiring stories from around the globe.
- Explore the Issues and learn about Honduras, land rights and sustainable agriculture.
- Integrate free lesson plans and activities in your teaching.
- Post pictures of your projects (send to email@example.com).
- Organize a food drive at your school and donate to a local food bank.
- Find and volunteer at your local community garden or food bank.
- Link to global nonprofit organizations for more information.
For more Good Garden activities log on to www.thegoodgarden.org for free resources to use in conjunction with CHUTES AND LADDERS® The Good Garden Edition Board Game and The Good Garden book.
Resources: Good Garden Game
Teaching Tips for CHUTES AND LADDERS® The Good Garden Edition
The more knowledge students have about the core lessons taught in The Good Garden, the more fun they will have playing the game and learning the real plight of those facing food insecurity.
Here is a list of teaching tips to review before playing CHUTES AND LADDERS® The Good Garden Edition:
2) Review key lessons to
determine what the students know and what you want them to learn.
Key Questions to Ask:
- What is food security?
- What struggles do those without food security face?
- What can people struggling for food security do?
- What can you do to help fight hunger?
3) Read all of the Chutes and Ladders cards with students to make sure they understand the vocabulary and what is happening to the farmer. Visit www.thegoodgarden.org for vocabulary exercises and more teaching tips.
4) Review glossary of terms on the game board with students.
5) Make a difference by organizing a Good Garden food drive, fundraiser or garden project.
6) Share your experience with others on www.thegoodgarden.org.
Use the CitizenKid teaching guide to further explore these issues in your classroom with students ages 8 to 12.
Additional Resources for Teachers:
Visit The Good Garden website for additional curriculum designed to provide educators the tools to raise students’ awareness on the issues of food security and sustainable agriculture.
The Good Garden Enrichment program, part of the One Hen, Inc. Enrichment Series, is built around a key global issue and designed to help children develop essential 21st century skills. The Good Garden program provides resources that introduce children to the concept of food security and what they can do about the global food crisis. The program includes The Good Garden book, game and website www.thegoodgarden.org, which provides interactive learning tools, teaching modules, videos and stories for educators to integrate into regular school time or as structured curriculum for after-school, club or summer enrichment programs.
Kids Can Press:
Kids Can Press is the largest Canadian-owned children’s publisher, with an award-winning list of over 600 picture books, nonfiction and fiction titles for toddlers to young adults, including Franklin the Turtle, the single most successful publishing franchise in the history of Canadian publishing, which has sold over 65 million books in more than 30 languages around the world.
CitizenKid is a collection of books that inform children about the world and inspire them to be better global citizens. The collection aims to make complex global issues accessible for children ages 8 to 12, and covers topics such as water conservation, biodiversity, food security, microlending, citizenship, global awareness and more. Each book provides information and resources to inspire children to make a difference, both locally and globally.
One Hen, Inc.
One Hen, Inc., launched in 2009, equips educators with stories, interactive media and grades 3 to 8 lesson plans and curriculum to inspire kids to four values: financial responsibility, personal initiative, global awareness and giving back. Our mission is to empower all kids to become social entrepreneurs, who make a difference for themselves and the world. Each of our programs, One Hen: Microfinance for Kids and The Good Garden: Food Security for Kids, introduce a compelling social issue, around which we provide flexible curriculum resources, including lesson plans, interactive games, teacher manuals, student workbooks and hands on projects. To date, educators from 142 countries and across the U.S. and Canada are utilizing One Hen resources in schools, after schools and summer schools.
Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS) is a branded play company providing children and families around the world with a wide-range of immersive entertainment offerings based on the Company’s world class brand portfolio. From toys and games, to television programming, motion pictures, video games and a comprehensive licensing program, Hasbro strives to delight its customers through the strategic leveraging of well-known and beloved brands such as TRANSFORMERS, LITTLEST PET SHOP, NERF, PLAYSKOOL, MY LITTLE PONY, G.I. JOE, MAGIC: THE GATHERING and MONOPOLY. The Hub, Hasbro’s multi-platform joint venture with Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) launched on October 10, 2010. The online home of The Hub is www.hubworld.com. The Hub logo and name are trademarks of Hub Television Networks, LLC. All rights reserved. Hasbro’s philanthropic work strives to bring “the sparkle of Hope, the joy of Play and the power of Service” into the lives of the children who need it most through the Hasbro Children’s Fund and other initiatives aimed to help children worldwide. Come see how we inspire play through our brands at http://www.hasbro.com.
Terms and Conditions
CHUTES AND LADDERS: The Good Garden Edition PROMOTION – TERMS & CONDITIONS
This promotion is being sponsored by Kids Can Press Ltd., One Hen, Inc. and Hasbro Canada Inc. (the “Promoters”). Participants can enter their Canadian elementary school’s name for your school’s chance to receive a free board game. Schools are also eligible to purchase “The Good Garden Book” at a 25% discount.
The promotion commences on Monday April 18, 2011 and continues while supplies last. The book discount will continue until Nov 11, 2011.
The promotion consists of two parts;
- Opportunity to be awarded a free CHUTES AND LADDERS: The Good Garden Edition game (including free shipping and handling) while supplies last and the
- Opportunity to purchase The Good Garden Book at a 25% discount until Nov 11, 2011 at www.kidscanpress.com.
- Five Hundred (500) games will be provided with free shipping and handling to the first five (500) elementary Canadian schools who enter. Only teachers, administrators or authorized representatives of such elementary schools are eligible to apply
- Promoters reserve the right to verify the validity of entries and reserve the right to void any entrant that tampers with the entry process or who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- Games cannot be awarded to schools located outside of Canada.
- The Promoters reserve the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any school(s) from the Promotion where it believes such school(s) has engaged in objectionable behavior, as determined in Promoters sole discretion. Names of participating schools may be viewed on the www.goodgarden.org website.
- To be valid, each entry must complete all details of the registration form hosted at the www.citizenkidbooks.com
- Entry forms via email or mail will not be accepted. Only entries submitted online are considered eligible. The Promoters are not responsible for late, lost or misdirected entry forms.
Opportunity to Purchase Book at 25% Discount:
- For Canadian schools only on the www.kidscanpress.com website.
- The Good Garden book discount is only redeemable on the www.kidscanpress.com online store.
- For book purchases taxes and shipping charges are to be paid by the customer.
DATE, TIME AND PLACE OF DRAW FOR FREE GAME
The first 500 eligible schools will be contacted by email to confirm their order as it is processed.
For both game and book, please allow 4-5 weeks for shipping and handling.
Participants represent and warrant that their Entries are wholly original, do not contain any subject-matter protected by copyright, trade-mark or other proprietary rights belonging to a third party, and that any publication or use of the Entries will not give rise to any third party claims.
By participating in the Promotion, each participant grants to Promoters all right, title and interest in and to the Entries, including any derivations thereof. The grant of rights hereunder includes but is not limited to, (i) the exclusive right and license to publish, display, reproduce, modify, edit, create an adaptation or animated derivation, or otherwise use (or refrain from using) the Entry provided by each entrant, in whole or in part in print, on the www.citizenkidbooks.com and www.goodgarden.org website and/or for advertising or promoting the Promotion or for any other reason; (ii) permission to use his or her first name, and each of their voices, statements about the Promotion and/or photographs or other likenesses without further compensation, in any publicity or advertisement carried out by the Promoters, in any manner whatsoever, including print, broadcast or the Internet; and (iii) to release and hold harmless the Promoters and their advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their respective agents, employees, directors, successors, and assigns, against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or in relating to participation in the Promotion, and further against any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trade-mark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action.
All Entries become the property of the Promoters and will not be returned
The personal information you have provided to the Promoters by completing the entry form may be used for the purpose of administering the promotion, to contact you if you are a winner of the competition, advising the public of the winner of the competition and sending you information on any products or services you may be interested in.
A copy of our Privacy Statement can be found at www.kidscanpress.com